Applying for Emergency Financial Assistance
Application For Emergency Assistance
APPLYING FOR EMERGENCY FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
Who is eligible?
- Currently serving Texas National Guard Service Members (both Army and Air)
- Former Service Member (served at least 5 years in the Texas National Guard or received a medical discharge; DD-214 or NGB-22 required)
- Spouse, Surviving Spouse or Dependent of Service Member (as reflected in DEERS) (Dependent must be under the age of 18; marriage license or birth certificate required)
Why is assistance given?
- Because the Service Member cannot pay specific basic needs and the lack of which would affect the member's military job or the essential quality or dignity of life the military wants for its members
- Because the need is "essential", not "desirable"
What qualifies for "emergency assistance?"
Limited, Short-term Basic Living Expenses such as:
- Mortgage/Rent/Short-term Affordable Housing
- Auto Repairs
- Medical and/or Dental insurance enrollment and/or monthly premiums/co-pays (TRS/TDP)
- Medical and/or Dental expenses
- Financial Educational Counseling (due to a history of financial crises)
- Military pay problems
- Travel related to funerals (only for parental deaths, siblings or if Service Member was raised by the deceased)
- Travel for expenses on a personal emergency
- Other expenses are considered on a case-by-case basis
What does not qualify for "emergency assistance?"
Such as, but not limited to:
- School Tuition
- Legal Civil Matters (Bankruptcies, Fines, Traffic Tickets, Court Costs, etc.)
- Taxes, of any kind
- Cable/Satellite TV
- Child Support Payments
- Credit Card bills
- Cell Phone bills (with exception and determined on a case-by-case basis)
How to apply?
- Complete/Sign/Date Application for Emergency Financial Assistance (see below "Click here to download the application")
- Obtain all documents required with the Application NOTE: If Service Member is injured in the line of duty, the Commander Letter must include that information or proof of Application for INCAP
- Contact your local Family Support Services, Family Assistance Specialist for submission of application instructions
(888) 443-2124, Spanish Speaking
How is emergency financial assistance paid?
Expenses are paid by the Foundation directly to the creditor.
At no time can the expense be paid directly to the Applicant.
What type of assistance is provided?
- GRANTS: Applications for consideration of a grant are based on the specific circumstance of the hardship and will be provided on a case-by-case basis.
- LOANS (INTEREST FREE): Applications for consideration of an interest free loan will be determined by the Applicant's ability to repay the loan. In addition to the Application and required documents, a Promissory Note will be executed by the Applicant that includes a Payment Schedule outlining the monthly payments. A provision in the Promissory Note will allow for collection in the event the loan is not paid back, and also result in contacting the Commanding Officer.
The Texas National Guard Family Support Foundation is able to provide emergency financial assistance by receiving donations from groups, companies and individuals who wish to support the Texas Military Forces and their families, and by the repayment of loans provided to service members and their families. The Foundation also receives grants that are funded with specific allocation guidelines. Therefore, grant versus loan is determined by receipt of donations, repayment of loans and grant funds available.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION